Friday, May 31, 2013

Biking to a Bike Tune-Up - How Appropriate

I had an appointment off of Odana, and I had been thinking that it would be great to bike to it instead of driving, so today I decided I would. The most direct route would be straight up Whitney Way, But, after my long ride last weekend, specifically biking on the busy McKee Road - the part I didn't enjoy - I decided that I would rather go a little further if I could avoid Whitney Way during rush hour.

I opted to go south on Rosa Road, up the hill and then straight across Mineral Point Road onto Science Drive. That winds around a bit, but it is very wide and a pleasant ride. It comes out on Odana right by Len's Electric Bikes, and I then had to go back east to get to my appointment - but it was worth going out of my way a bit to have a more enjoyable ride. Len's is where I got my bike, so my bike and I waved as we went past.

Seeing Len's had given me an idea - why not see if they would do a tune-up and ask if they could fix the squeak? After my fall, written about last time, my bike had acquired a persistent squeak, somehow connected to the front brake, that was loud enough to be a bit worrying and really, really annoying. So after my appointment I found the bike path that goes along near the beltline, parallel to Odana, and headed back to Len's Electric Bikes.

Len has moved a few doors down, so now the back of his store is right along the bike path, and I noticed a couple of people test-riding bikes on the path - a nice benefit of the new store - and it has more space too, and a separate space for a workshop. I was in luck: there were two mechanics at work, so someone could check over the bike and hopefully return it to all its former glory.

Len's has an interesting ambiance, and I think it reflects Len's personality. Everyone is super friendly. I was welcomed immediately, and everyone was so pleased to see I had biked there. There were a few customers, so I had an opportunity to watch interactions. Everyone in the store is enthusiastic and excited about electric bikes, which creates a palpable energy. (Note to introverts: activate force shields.) There is a thin line, I think, between that enthusiasm and sales pressure - but Len's motto is "You don't have to buy one; you just have to try one," and he means it. If you ARE in the market for an electric bike, Len and his team will find the one that fits you, and will follow through to be sure you are happy with it - and change it if you are not.

I felt like a celebrity when I mentioned this blog - "I read your blog!" "My wife is following your blog!" - which was rather fun. Blogging is an interesting experience all around, and I'm enjoying it - so thank you for reading!

Three cheers for the mechanics! They readjusted the handlebars and worked until the squeaky brake was fixed! I was soon biking my way home squeak-free. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment