Saturday, May 4, 2013

Farmers Market By Bike - the Perfect Combination

This is one thing I've been looking forward to all winter: "my" farmers market and being able to bike there. I love the Westside Community Farmers Market. In one row of vendors you will find most things you want, from vegetables, bakery and maple syrup to chocolate, eggs, and flowers. And tortillas. And meat and cheese and pasta. And bedding plants. Not to mention some really lovely and friendly vendors. I've been going to this Farmers Market ever since it started. I managed to miss the first two this season, but today I wanted to e-bike over.

The Market is over one of the hills near me, but I have chosen a route that goes around the steepest part. Out of habit I followed that path, but later I realized that I no longer had to avoid hills - next time I'll just power up!

I arrived at the Market and locked my bike to one of the lovely bike-shaped bike racks by the DOT building. This Market is in the parking lot of the Department of Transportation. I find it a bit sad that such a cheerful and beautiful market should be staged on blacktop. I believe there were once plans to rebuild the DOT building and incorporate a landscaped area for the Market, but it never happened. I think it would be great to have a setting that does justice to the beautiful, fresh produce.

It was great to be back! Soon my backpack was filled and altogether too heavy. I had packages of RP's pasta, "tortillas" (I buy the big ones, because we use them for wraps at our house, filled with salad ingredients from the Market), wonderful fresh lettuce and spinach, a couple of baby bok choi, and even a dozen eggs. It was great to chat and hear the winter's news also - one of my favorite vendors is expecting her first child.

I checked out the plant vendors too, and saw a tomato plant I wanted. One of my favorites, that I have been growing for several years, is Rose de Berne, a wonderful tomato somewhat like Brandywine, but I like the flavor better. One vendor always grows a few of those plants, so I will get a plant from her next week. I love my bike, but I'm not going to transport plants home on it!

The road home starts with a coast down a good-sized hill, and then you have to slog uphill the rest of the way. It's not steep, but it's steadily uphill. I'm proud to say that even with all my eggs and vegetables, I didn't use the power assist until a half-block at the very end. :-)

Biking to my outdoor Farmers Market - now I know it's finally spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment