Thursday, May 9, 2013

Biking With a Friend and Feeling 12 Years Old

My friend Laura is the first person I knew who had an e-bike, so naturally I told her when I got mine so we could go riding together. She got hers out of winter storage and called to say she could come over that evening and we could go for a ride. She might have rung the doorbell and asked if Anna could come out and play, but I was all ready and waiting. She admired my sleek new bike, and I cast envious glances at the fleece-covered, padded bike seat she has on hers. I had ridden hers once before, and it was certainly comfy!

We headed out, laughing, comparing notes, and cruising up and down the hills. Laura speculated on how the bikes' power compared. Her bike is at least ten years old, and we knew the battery technology had improved a lot since then. Laura wanted to find a flattish straightaway where we could test them out. A race! We found a flat block of Regent Street with no traffic. Laura set the rule - power only, no pedaling - and started off with her feet stuck out to the sides to demonstrate. "OK," I said, "I'm coming!" I ramped up the power and blew past her like she was standing still!

"My bike's better than your bike, my bike's better than yours!" Anyone else remember that old Ken-L Ration commercial?

After I had kindly waited for Laura to catch up, we cruised over to Garner Park, and up the park path to the shelter. On the wide path between the shelter and the parking lot Laura tried my bike for herself. "Aaaaagh! Wheeeeee!" (I think she liked it.)

Then it was time to head home. No parents were calling - just reality. We both had work in the morning, and looming deadlines.

Laura has loved her bike - with its stylish retro color and lines - for years, but she had to fight off a twinge of jealousy as she said goodnight and biked off home. I am grateful to Laura and her bike, since they are the reason I went knew about e-bikes in the first place, but I confess to a twinge of childish glee at winning our race!

No comments:

Post a Comment