Saturday, April 27, 2013

Longest Ride Yet: 7 Miles

Today marked a couple of firsts for me. One, it is my longest ride to date, and two, it is the first time I have biked outside of Madison starting from my house. Woohoo! I biked seven miles, to Middleton and back. It's not the Tour de France, but I'm happy.

The route from my house to the west side Willy St. Co-op in Middleton is more hilly than anything I have done so far - and my battery has not been charged since I got the new battery - several rides ago. There are three power indicator lights: green, yellow, and red. Normally all three are lit up. Today the red and yellow ones were lit, but the green one was lit only faintly. The manual says that means I'm starting to get low on charge, but I wanted to know how much further I could go. So I made sure my husband was willing to come and rescue me if I got stranded without power, and I headed out with my backpack.

What's interesting is that the lights change depending on what load you're putting on the battery. On the level, sometimes even the green light would be fully lit. Going up a hill, the green light would dim or even go out. It's good, because you feel like you're getting constant feedback about the power status.

Most of my ride was along Old Middleton Road, a fairly pleasant route. There's plenty of room for a bike along the side. Being Saturday, there was a good amount of traffic, so it was good to have the space. I was startled to find, however, that the speed bumps for cars extend all the way to the edges, so they go across the bike lane as well as the car lane. That makes for quite an obstacle bump. It's not like I'm going so fast I need to be slowed down, so I wonder why they do that. Anyway, I learn something new every day.

The downside of heading out with a low battery is that I was more cautious using the power assist - or maybe that was the upside, since I used my own power more. :-) But I certainly used it at least somewhat on every hill.

Welcome to Middleton! One of this summer's biking goals met. My next goal for out of Madison rides is to go south on the commuter path and then either south to Verona or west towards Seminole highway - but for now I'm thrilled to see the sign for Middleton.

I remembered my bike lock this time, and was able to lock to a bike rack. I remembered to take the key with me also, so I'm on a roll!

Shopping felt nice and restful, and I got sustenance in the form of a couple of samples. Great tamales made in Milwaukee! I started back with a full backpack of groceries (including some tamales for dinner), and resolved very quickly to use as much power as I needed, even if it meant running out and needing a ride home. Carrying a heavy pack really reduces the enjoyable element of biking. I have so got to find a way to make my carriers work for this bike. My lovely West Side Farmers Market has already started, and I want to bike there as often as I can this summer - and I don't want to be carrying a watermelon home like this!

Final lap! I headed up Rosa Road's hill, throttling up the power after I had gotten less than half way up. Close to the top the orange light went off, and I was left with only red. But when I eased off the power, the orange light came back on, and even the green, faintly. At the top, all lights were back on. Yay! My turn on South Hill Drive and it's all downhill from here. Wheeled into my driveway triumphant!

So I have learned that the battery indicator lights give you a fair amount of advance warning before your power is completely gone. I knew the power was low starting out, but I went seven more miles and never lost power. I will certainly charge up before I go out again, but that is really, really good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment