Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Little Bird Watching By Bike

Dang! The sun was out earlier but I missed it. I decided I needed to work more before I took a bike break, and that's what I get for my virtuous decision: clouds and a bit of rain. Still, it is much warmer than the last time I was out - about 55 - and I didn't need my winter coat. I'll take it.

Today I'm tired, but I wanted to move ahead with my plan to go a little further each day. Sometimes you have to focus on your goals, and sometimes you have to listen to your body. I decided right off the bat that this was a perfect time to compromise. I would try for the route I had planned, but I would allow myself to depend on my power assist a little more than usual. After all, that's why I bought this bike. Without it, I would not have ventured out at all.

I took a new route, and ended up riding past a little narrow park where I used to take my kids when they were small. We could walk there from their great-grandparents' house, so that brought back some memories. Not only are my kids grown, and the great-grandparents gone, even my granddaughter is too old to play in a park.

I do like birds, seeing which ones are back, and watching them. I kept a lookout as I biked along, and I think I saw a flycatcher near that park, and I definitely saw a hawk. I wanted to take a picture to post, but when I stopped it glided from its tree to a different one just out of range. I could clearly see its red tail, and it was big enough, so I can safely say it was a Redtailed hawk. I'm always amazed seeing them in the city.

I did use the power more than on previous rides, but it turned out that I still did all the work for at least 80% of the ride. Yay! I felt a little shaky when I got back, however, so I wouldn't want to push it any more than I did. The bike and I are a team that make good things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment