Sunday, August 18, 2013

Ride the Drive West - That's My Neighborhood

I just came in from "Riding the Drive," starting from my front door. Ride the Drive is an annual Madison event that allows bikers and other non-motorized traffic to enjoy streets closed to cars. Normally its focus is John Nolan Drive and parts of downtown, but today a second one is being held on the west side. I have to admit I don't see the appeal. John Nolan Drive has beautiful scenery, with Lake Monona and Monona Bay on either side. My neighborhood has houses built in the 1950s. It's a pretty neighborhood, and I like it here, but I'm puzzled to think of it as a "destination" worthy of a special trip to bike around.

Ride the Drive participants near my house. From my window it looked like quite a good turnout.
Be that as it may, many folks are out there enjoying my neighborhood! I biked around the loop - South Hill Dr. to Segoe to Regent to Rosa Rd. - and it really was quite fun to be part of a moving community if bikers and skaters and walkers of all ages. There were people my age and older, people so tiny their bikes were about a foot tall, and every age in between. There were serious bikers and bikers who walked up the hills. 

Segoe with no vehicle traffic.
The route was smart, in that there were hills but nothing too steep or long. I know this because I didn't use my power assist at all on this ride - I forgot to take my key! Discovered that at the first hill and felt silly - but it was really for the best because I did all the hills with all my own power and did fine. There were tiny kids doing the hills, and that was an excellent inspiration. Later on my loop there was even a misting tent you could ride through to experience a cooling mist. 

A hill! Bikers participated in all sizes and abilities. Young troopers like this one inspired the rest of us. I admire all the patient dads and moms who took their ride slower so the kids could participate and have fun.
Not everyone was on a bike. There were strollers and wagons and quite a few on skates.
There are two parks along the route, and booths were set up with information and vendors. These "villages" also had those bouncy tents for the kids to blow off steam, and one of the parks had live music. Several enterprising neighbors had lemonade stands or things for sale (wanna buy a kayak?), and a church on the route had a dozen or more members out hawking free water and prayer. 

The ride-through misting tent. The day wasn't terribly hot, but it still felt good.
The "village" along Segoe, with information booths and vendors - a nice place to take a break.
Event organizers were prepared for 10,000 people, because that's how many came to the downtown one earlier in the summer, and I wouldn't expect that many here, but there are certainly a lot of bikes going past my house! This west side Ride the Drive may become a successful annual event too.
I missed seeing the police horse! My friend Laura got this photo. Police horses are such awesome ambassadors, and I heard excited people talking about meeting this one. Photo by Laura V. Page, laurapagephoto.com.
There were even street artists. Recognized artist Holly Jorgenson and photographer Laura V. Page created some fun street art on South Hill Drive. Photo by Laura V. Page, laurapagephoto.com.
OK, I am not a huge sucker for every cute kid, but the kids out today were totally cool.
My bike after our ride. I never used the electric assist at all - because I forgot to take my key! I'm glad I forgot, and did it all under my own steam. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment