Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Bike!

Today I purchased freedom. At least that's how it feels. I bought an electric-assisted bike from Len's Electric Bikes, took it home and rode just under 2 miles. Not a record-setting distance by anyone's standards, but soooo exciting for me.

I'm Anna and I'm 58 years old, going on 90. At least some days. I have joint pain, I have hot flashes, I have problems with my heart. I'm suffering also from a long, gray winter. I need to get outside, feel the sun, and do something fun and active - and for the first time in my life that has become hard to do.

Please forgive me if I give a few details. They're relevant to why this bike is important to me - but I promise in future this will not be a medical blog! 

The joint pain came from - of all things - a sledding accident. It happened three years ago, and I am just starting to face the realization that this may never go away. My lower spine is chronically uncomfortable, from above my waist down to my tailbone. The sacro-iliac joints, which are where the hip bones connect to the sacrum, are painful. And I have bursitis in my hip joints. 

It's amazing how many activities cause pain in at least one of those areas!

I used to kayak, but that's a bit harder to enjoy when the tailbone is sore. I love to walk and hike, and cross-country ski - but any rotating of the pelvis makes the s-i joints really complain. I need a cane to do steps, primarily because of the bursitis. I can't sit comfortably for very long; even lying down gets uncomfortable after a while. The phrase "limited mobility," which used to mean only other people, now describes me. 

But I can sit on a bike. I can't sit comfortably on a chair, but a bike seat is small enough that - well, to be direct - my butt sticks out past the back just enough that my tailbone misses the seat. Woohoo! I can be outside and I can be mobile!

Unfortunately, I have been unable to exercise for too long. I have a desk job and I'm out of shape. And I live near Hilldale, where there's a hill in every possible direction from my house, and they all go up!

Then I read in the paper that "TV Lennie" had come out of retirement to open a shop selling electric bikes, bikes that had a power-assist when you needed it - and I thought I might have my answer. I read about all their bikes at lenselectricbikes.com, I checked out other options on Amazon, and on the weekend I drove out to look - just to look! I test-rode two bikes, and fell head over heals for the Prodeco Genesis 500. An hour later I rolled back into my driveway after my first ride on my brand-new bike around my neighborhood. Ah, wheeled mobility!

I volunteered to write this blog about my experiences this season. I hope this becomes a record of success, because I will truly enjoy reporting that I am getting stronger and better. My plan is to include all the information I would want to know myself - good and bad. I hope other people will find it fun and I hope helpful. Please come along for the ride!

2 comments:

  1. I have Kidney Disease and I purchased the Tailwind! What a difference it makes and what a joy it brings to get back on a bike. I am 52 going on 90 as well. lol Good Luck, keep up the good work and I plan to follow along with your blog.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I wish you a wonderful journey with your bike as well. Isn't it amazing how much difference one object can make in your life? My bike has given me strength and also improved my optimism - and that has led to me trying other things that I wouldn't have tried 2 months ago. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete